Grab your best fishing kayak for a fabulous fishing experience!
Do you love fishing? Do you go fishing in the fresh waters, cold waters, or in the backwaters? Or perhaps your fishing escapades often take you to the high seas full of adventure and experience. If fishing is your favorite sport then investing in a fishing kayak is definitely worth it.
There is so much buzz on fishing using kayaks in various websites. And you will find lots of content on how to excel fishing as well as the ins and outs of using a kayak. With experts sharing their knowledge on kayak usages and users crazily sharing their experiences about fishing in kayaks, trying one is worth it.
Fishing is a favorite pastime for many, all that was tried in a powerboat can be tried in the best fishing kayak as well. In fact, once you start to use a kayak, you will gradually earn the comfort of using it and will never look back due to its interesting benefits and storage options.
Fishing kayaks come in several types like the sit-on-top kayak, the sit-inside kayak, discover kayaks that feature trendy gears and even motorized kayaks. In addition to this, the weight capacity, length, speed, seating arrangements, motor built are all considered as crucial factors before buying a fishing kayak.Once you learn how to handle it, you are sure to enjoy the adventure in fishing with that attractive fishing kayak in action.
Top 5 Best Fishing Kayaks – Editor’s Choice
1. Sea-Eagle SE370K_P Inflatable Kayak – Best inflatable fishing kayak
The Sea Eagle fishing kayak is an inflatable kayak, a product from the Sea-Eagle Company. Most people often doubt whether an inflatable kayak can actually be used for fishing, given the fact that a sharp object might deflate the kayak. In a bid to debunk these doubts, Sea eagle ensures that the kayak is made of high quality material called the PolyKrylar, a combination of PVC, haypalon and itrylon.
This fishing kayak is highly durable, lightweight and has heavy duty features. It is also extremely strong with the weight capacity of up to 650 pounds. The kayak is designed to fit two people comfortably with a slightly congested third person accommodation. It can be used in various conditions like river water, salt water and also some very fast gushing streams.
The fishing kayak comes equipped with two seats as well as a repair kit which houses all the tools, a spray kit and two paddles. There are holes at the bottom of the kayak which drain out the water quickly. The speciality of this inflatable kayak is that it can be inflated in a very short time of approximately 8 minutes. The spray skirt is used in the kayak to prevent the water from flowing in and swamping everything. Keeping in mind that this particular kayak is a two-seater version, there are spray skirts to keep both the persons and the kayak dry from the choppy waters.
Due to its ample space and massive seating capacity, the Sea-Eagle kayak is the preferred choice of inflatable kayak with the folks. For those who go on occasional fishing trips, this kayak can be a great option considering the high mobility and the ease of transportation this kayak provides. The kayak can be deflated just as fast it inflates and can be hauled up in the regular car trunk alongside the fishing gear.
- It is made of high quality material like the PolyKrylar
- Extremely heavy-duty with provision to carry weights upto 650 pounds.
- Easy to transport as it can be deflated.
- The inflation requires a very short time of 8 minutes.
- It has self draining holes, so there is no water in the kayak.
- It takes time to dry, with the process of inflating and deflating to be applied again and again.
- The third position in the kayak will be a very uncomfortable one and there is chance of the kayak over turning.
- These kayaks are much slower and are only suitable for leisure activities.
2. Sun Dolphin Aruba 10-Foot Sit-in Kayak – Best Sit-in Kayak under $500
The Sun Dolphin Aruba Kayak is a sit-in type fishing kayak. The sit-in types of kayaks are preferred over the sit-on-top kayaks due to their capability to keep the person dry. Due to its cockpit style seating, where a person sits inside the kayak, the centre of gravity is improved and the kayak is mostly stable. This kayak can be used mainly in quiet waters like the lakes, canals and in some cases slow flowing rivers.
The hull is made from polyethylene, a high quality tough structure. The seats in this kayak are adjustable according to the needs of the person using it. There is a mesh cover to cover the fishing gear. The extra features in this kayak include the protective thigh pads for extra comfort, generous storage compartment, water bottle holder and paddle holder.
The Kayak features the adjustable premium quality seats with ergonomic padding which adds a cushion comfort to the seat. The seats come in a six-way adjustment module with tilting feature, so there is higher stability ensured. The cockpit is also designed to use a spray kit to keep the passenger and the contents of the kayak dry.
Since the kayak is short with a higher centre of gravity, it is fast and agile in the water. With its high durability characterized by UV and abrasion resistance, and the top-quality rotational-moulding process, the Sun Dolphin Aruba is one of the sleekest and safest sit-in kayaks in the market today. The Graphics and colours on the kayak are wear-proof and customisable. With a length of around 10 feet and width measuring 30 inches, the kayak can handle weights and storage up to a maximum of 250 pounds.
- It shelters the body from the wind and water.
- It has low centre of gravity which increases the stability.
- It is very fast due to its sleek structure.
- The thigh pads add extra comfort to the seating positions.
- It is made up of high-quality abrasion proof materials.
- Difficult to move about since you are into the kayak.
- The kayak does not have holes, which means that it will be filled with water in case of a flip.
3. Sun Dolphin Bali SS 10-Foot Sit-on top Kayak – Best for begginers
The Bali SS 10-Foot sit-on-top fishing kayak is a product from Sun Dolphin, a leading manufacturer of high quality kayaks. This kayak is ideal for fishing trips or just for leisure trips. It has a sit-on-top feature, meaning the person sits on a moulded seat in the kayak. With ample storage and some really cool features like comfortable seating area with protective thigh pads and Portable Accessory Carrier, this kayak offers a great experience.
One great thing about this sit-on-top kayak is that it is stable and can be used in a variety of water conditions from salt water to lakes and canals or even rivers. The hull is sealed with a moulded hull on the top where the paddler is housed. This kayak is wider than other kayaks, giving it ample stability, a feature that cannot be overlooked when going fishing. With its high stability in moving waters, there is less chance that you will topple overboard.
This kayak weighs 44 pounds, has a length of 10 feet and is 30 inches wide. A maximum weight of 250 pounds can be handled by the kayak. The large, comfortable seating area with protective thigh pads is a special light weight comfortable seating system. The seat is supported by a suspension style mechanism to keep you stable even during the moving currents. It also features vented seats to keep the ventilation and the seat can be adjusted back and forth.
- Features the highly comfortable seating with fairly ventilated seats.
- Ample Storage compartment
- The foot braces of the kayak is adjustable.
- Due to its longer width, there is high stability.
- It is slower than other kayaks due to its wide body structure.
- It does not support spray skirt which means there is high probability that you will get wet.
- The self mounted seat can be a problem if not adjusted to the correct height of the person.
4. Lifetime-Tamarack Angler-100 fishing-kayak with paddles
Tamarack Angler-100 fishing-kayak is one of the offerings of the company Lifetime. This fishing kayak is a sit-on-top model equipped with paddles. Spanning over 120 inches in length and 32 inches in width, this kayak can support a weight of 275 pounds. It is surprisingly light weight at 23 kilos considering the Paddling equipment in its compartment.
The seats in this kayak are of top-notch quality with various adjustable positions. The fishing rod holders include two flush mounted and a single top mount holder. Its high-mobility is one of the key reasons why it enjoys massive positive feedback. This kayak can be hauled up in a large SUV or a truck for transporting.
The hull channels are designed to be deep which helps in the navigation and maintaining the course of the kayak. Due to its wide body, the kayak is stable and ideal for fishing conditions. It can be operated in lakes, rivers as well as salt water conditions and also sometimes in fast streams. Adding to the stability is the flat bottom structure of the kayak which along with the hull keeps the kayak in position and maintains the centre of gravity.
The other features of this kayak include front & rear-shock cord-straps, the chine rails for improved stability. There are also multiple footrest positions that cater to different heights and a paddlekeeper which is used to secure the paddle to the kayak.
Lastly, you will find T-handles at the front as well as the rear of the kayak for easy movement. The whole kayak is constructed with high density polyethylene which is UV protected and abrasion-proof. Massive storage compartments and comfortable cushioned-seating as well as padding, deep hull, light weight and ease of use make it an extremely favourable kayak-with-the-paddles. Due to its well built structure, the kayak has proven to be highly durable. It is completely safe and super functional to use.
- The paddle structure makes it easy to use. The hands can be free for fishing!
- The kayak is highly durable with the best material put to use.
- It is fairly easy to clamb out of the kayak with the sit-on-top position.
- There is a provision for multi footrest for people of all heights.
- The hull channels are deep and guide in maintain the course of the kayak.
- The paddles sometimes get stuck due to weeds in the water.
- This kayak cannot be used in the fast streams.
- These kayaks are usually slow due to their wide hull structure.
5. Native watercraft-slayer propel-10 kayak
This kayaks is one of the best fishing kayaks, thanks to loads of comfort and ease of operation. It is stable enough and is a definite value for money specifically if you are a high-end kayaker. The kayak comes with a padded area for standing. It provides the user with two options to pedal or to paddle which is great.
- Interestingly, this kayak can be used as a bike in waterways rather than for fishing, portage or for your camping needs.
- Comes with excellent seats with absolutely no soreness issues.
- You can keep paddling day long and still find it easy with no pain in your foot.
- Very smooth to move around and is also very silent in calm lakes.
- The longer version serves excellently in rough waters handling a lot of gears.
- The radius that helps in turning is not that good. Opt for an upgraded rudder if you can.
- Though this has room for wiring, it doesn’t come with a pre-installed wiring.
- This is indeed expensive with such a lot of benefits to offer.
Buying Guide – How to Choose the Best Fishing Kayak
Seats play a major role in the fishing kayak as they are what make you comfortable throughout the process. A lot of people complain about poor seats that pain a lot in an hour. So, ensure you check the quality beforehand and get the very best one.
Rod holders :
Most fishing kayaks come with an installed fishing rod holder which could be of flush mount, deck mount, or homemade versions. Now the main focus must be on the location of the fishing rod where it is mounted. Check if that contributes to your comfort level.
Fishing kayaks come with a lot of storage and transportation facilities. There are trailers to load the kayaks exclusively and they can also be stocked at the back of your vehicle or on the attic with ease. So check their sizes before you buy. If you want that hassle-free loading and unloading, you can even go with the simplest roof rack for that purpose.
In terms of shape, we have the longer and the wider ones. Now if you are a beginner, then you need to go with a smaller one that is also fairly stable. The long and thinner kayaks go faster comparatively. Initially what seems to be visually attractive and stable will look very boring later. This is because once you start to use it, you will gain the skills over time and look for one that fits your specific needs with regards to the shape.
Branded kayaks are fairly more preferred if you are considering your fishing kayak as an investment. Branded kayaks come with a lot of durability and reliability with extreme customer support. What might be perfect for one might not be the same for another as that depends on each individual’s personal preference?